There are different animation styles practiced today. However, the most common forms used are 2D & 3D animation. 2D is the most traditional animation method existing from the late 1800’s and is still preferred by traditional animators around the world. 3D animation is rising in popularity since the late 1990’s. Most of the designers and gamers nowadays prefer 3d as it is more attractive, gives a realistic experience and has a power to engage players in the game. Today, here we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of 2D & 3D animation.
While this is the oldest form of animation, many gamers enjoy the cartoonish nature of 2D. Many gamers enjoy 2D as it does not try to imitate real life.
Some of the advantages of 2D animation are:
- Low production cost – It is cheaper when compared to 3D.
- Quick and saves time – The production lead time for 2D animation is low and it is quicker to produce.
- Simple and less complex- 2D involves less technology and software and hence it is easier to produce when compared to 3D.
- Basic controls – It is easy to handle without any tutorials.
- More focus on gameplay- It gives less importance to design and focuses more on the game play.
Some of the disadvantages of 2D are:
- It can be boring – Traditional animation can sometimes seem to be boring.
- Less demand – with the introduction of 3D animation most people prefer to watch 3D animation movies as compared 2D.
- Economic reasons – In certain cases 3D can be created with less money and time due to advanced technology.
- Time is money – It is time consuming to create cel-based animation templates which can never be reused and hence many studios are giving up 2D.
Gamers enjoy 3D as it gives a sense of realism. Players feel that whatever happens in the game is real as the 3D design looks, behaves and feels realistic. The gamers get to enjoy more realistic action in 3D.
Some of the advantages of 3D are:
- Motion communicates – 3D animation has a superior ability to portray movement.
- Visual appeal – 3D is much more realistic.
- Time is money – 3D models made for a particular project can be reused for future projects which help to lower the cost of production.
- Good quality – 3D gives high quality and more gameplay compared to 2D.
- In demand – Most of the people now prefer 3D rather than 2D.
Some of the disadvantages are:
- Limited imagination- 3D is limited to what the machine can do unlike 2D.
- Lack of simplicity – Most of the animated movies have been made in 2D due to its simplicity.
- Profit & loss – In few cases the whole lot of effort, time & resources spent on a 3D project may not be as expected.
Hence we can understand that both 2D and 3D animation have advantages and disadvantages too. The designers have to decide on which method they want to use according to their requirements.
If you are looking out for game art outsourcing then Dhruva Interactive is the right choice. Dhruva Interactive is one of the best mobile game development and outsourcing company based in Bangalore, providing art production services to the global games industry. Their team includes highly creative designers, skilled software engineers, top quality artists, sharp quality analysts etc to deliver the best in the industry.